Thursday, November 3, 2011

Body Art in the Workplace: What Do You Think?

The enclosed article (bottom) references policies by various companies concerning visible tattoos and piercings. While I can understand the reasoning behind some of the regulations, body art is becoming more and more mainstream in today's society.
I myself am tattooed and pierced, and I presume I will become increasingly more so throughout my lifetime. Tattoos and piercings can be likened to fashion accessories, which is why I can understand regulating them, in moderation. There are some fashion statements that simply aren't appropriate when representing a company at certain functions or in front of certain people within or outside of the company. However, I don't feel that visible tattoos and piercings can be completely banned in fairness. That would be like telling someone they couldn't wear red shoes or hoop earrings. On the other hand you wouldn't expect a company to allow you to wear a gruesome Cannibal Corpse T-shirt to an important business meeting with a client, so you shouldn't suspect that your gruesome Cannibal Corpse tattoo on your left forearm would be appropriate either. This is all hypothetical, of course. I don't know anyone with a Cannibal Corpse tattoo, but I'm sure they're out there. So where should the line be drawn? How can fair regulations be imposed? Will the regulations loosen as the next generation begins taking over executive positions at corporate companies? Will those that were once only able to get jobs as musicians, artists, record store clerks, and at tattoo parlours be running Fortune 500 companies in the next five years? Personally, I hope so. Americans need to loosen their views on self expression. A tattooed freak is not always a delinquent.

Visible Tattoos and Other Corporate No-Nos

No comments:

Post a Comment